Travel itinerary: Bali and Flores in 3 weeks.
Since Bali is getting so crowded, a lot of people want to explore beyond it. Lombok, Sumbawa, Flores. This is a 3-week travel itinerary from traditional Flores to hedonism in Bali and some serious snorkeling in between.
P.S.: Click on the links of the cities to get information how to get from one place to another, where to find a room, where to eat and what transport to use.
Travel itinerary: Flores to Bali
Duration of your trip to Flores and Bali: 21 days
- Day 1: Arrive to Denpasar and take a domestic flight to Maumere. Have a nice dinner at the fish market and get ready for the trip to Moni.
- Day 2: Catch a bus/bemo to Moni and relax in this tiny village. Find your ojek (motorbike taxi) for the next morning or prepare for the walk to the top of the volcano.
- Day 3: Get up early and see the amazing sunset with colorful lakes on Kelimutu volcano. Get a bus or a shared taxi to Bajawa.
- Day 4: Rent a bike in Bajawa and explore the nearby villages of Bena and Luba.
- Day 5: Relax a bit and explore Bajawa‘s surroundings.
- Day 6: Ruteng. See the famous spider rice fields and have a taste of their freshly roasted coffee on the market.
- Day 7: Labuan Bajo. Spend the day in this port town, have a dinner at the evening market and arrange a 4 days/3 nights boat trip to Lombok (deck or cabin).
- Day 8: Explore the Komodo national park area.
- Day 9: Snorkel with mantas.
- Day 10: See Komodo dragons.
- Day 11: Enjoy the last day on your boat trip and arrive to Lombok.
- Day 12: Gili Air. Fins a nice bungalow close to the beach and relax from living the pirate life.
- Day 13: GIli Air. Morning run, coconuts and a beer at sunset.
- Day 14: Mt. Rinjani. Two day trek – not the easiest climb but worth it. Also see Other options if you’re more into relaxing.
- Day 15: Mt. Rinjani. Second day of Mt. Rinjani trek.
- Day 16: Heal your body from the trek and arrive to Bali.
- Day 17: Ubud. Relax and walk around this cultural city. Try to find accommodation near Artist’s ridge above town (and among the rice fields) and you can be away from tourists.
- Day 18: Ubud. Enjoy, read and eat good food. Do a yoga class. Pet a monkey. No, don’t do that! 🙂
- Day 19: Part in Kuta.
- Day 20: Kuta. Last dinner in Kuta. Don’t get drunk.
- Day 21: Cry and fly home from Denpasar.
Other options: If you’re more into relaxing than trekking you can move to Bali sooner and have three more days on this beautiful island. You can have a base in Ubud and explore the island with a bike or you can stay in Lovina for the black beaches, Batur lake or Nusa Penida for some more beach time.
Hey! We’re still traveling 🙂 Check out our Instagram profile @wejusttravel!
Travel itinerary map
What to bring?
- 35 l backpack and a smaller bag
- 5 shirts, 3 shorts
- 1 sweater, 1 pants
- Flip flops and light walking shoes
- Sleeping bag
- Some travel medicine
- Add what you need
Good to know
The best time to visit Bali is at the end of high season and in the beginning of low season. That means early spring, when New Year’s craziness subsides. Prices of accommodation are significantly lower and locals are more friendly and calm. If you want a low budget trip to bali, don’t go there in June, July or August.
Don’t book in advance! When you need a ride, book your ticket a day in advance from the bus station or port. Bargain for cheaper price for the rooms, especially if you plan to stay several days. Bring lots of cash because ATM’s have high fees for every withdrawal.
Bus rides on Flores can be really uncomfortable, long, more expensive than for the locals (drivers are trying to get money on every single thing) so decide if it’s better to get a shared transport (which is more expensive) or hassle for the buses. ATMs on Flores are really sparse.
Expenses for your budget trip from Flores to Bali
Accommodation: 7 $/day
Food: 6 $/day
Transportation: 7 $/day
All together: 20 $/day
Expenses before leaving
Domestic flight from Denpasar to Maumere: 70 $
Visa for Indonesia: 33 $ (check what are the conditions for your country)
Plane ticket: depends where you are 🙂
Travel insurance: minimum 55 $