Travel itinerary: Dreamy Banda islands.
A perfect paradise in my imagination looks something like this: palm trees and coconuts, delicious food, turquoise sea with billions of colourful fish, friendly locals, very few tourists and low prices. Somehow, in October 2014, we stumbled upon this kind of paradise on Banda islands, somewhere in the east Indonesia (click here if you want to know where they are). It was everything we imagined of a perfect getaway. If you don’t want to visit Sri Lanka, Koh Tao or Bali, check out this 22-day itinerary for the perfect snorkelling adventure.
Travel itinerary: 3 weeks on Banda islands
Duration of Banda islands travel itinerary: 22 days
- Day 1: Arrive to Jakarta. Hello, Indonesia! Find a hotel at Jalan Jaksa and have a beer. You deserve it 🙂
- Day 2: Jakarta. Walk around the nearby streets and try the local street food. It will be on your menu for 3 weeks!
- Day 3: Pangandaran. Village and the sea, friendly locals and good food.
- Day 4: Pangandaran. Visit the national park and hang out with the locals in the evening.
- Day 5: Yogyakarta. Explore the famous Borobudur temple and don’t forget about the sunset.
- Day 6: Yogyakarta. Visit local markets and have a cup of true Javanese coffee.
- Day 7: Surabaya. Enjoy the old town and try some of the local specialties.
- Day 8: Ambon. Music capital of Indonesia! Dance, sing and get ready for the morning trip.
- Day 9: Bandaneira. Capital of Banda islands. Can you smell the nutmeg?
- Day 10: Bandaneira. Walk around this small town and have a delicious buffet dinner at Mutiara guesthouse.
- Day 11: Pulau Ai. I hope you brought your mask and fins. Let the games begin 🙂
- Day 12: Pulau Ai. Go fishing with the locals.
- Day 13: Pulau Ai. Swim, snorkel, eat.
- Day 14: Pulau Hatta. You can have this small island with only one guesthouse all by yourself.
- Day 15: Pulau Hatta. Explore one the most beautiful coral reefs in the world and enjoy the colours of the sunset.
- Day 16: Pulau Hatta. Have a day of pure hedonism.
- Day 17: Pulau Hatta. Last day on the island so snorkel till your second last breath.
- Day 18: Bandaneira. Walk to the other side of the island and snorkel away.
- Day 19: Bandaneira. Wake up really early and go to the Api volcano. Find some sticks for easier descend. And loads of water!
- Day 20: Ambon. Last change for an island dinner.
- Day 21: Jakarta. By now you already know Jakarta. Visit another part of town.
- Day 22: Jakarta. Last couple of hours in Indonesia and then fly home.
Hey! We’re still traveling 🙂 Check out our Instagram profile @wejusttravel!
Travel itinerary map
What to bring?
- 35 l backpack and a smaller bag
- 5 shirts, 3 shorts
- 1 sweater, 1 pants
- Flip flops and light walking shoes
- Sleeping bag
- Some travel medicine
- Add what you need
Tips for traveling to Banda islands
The only downside of Banda islands is that they are quite hard to get to, especially if you don’t have enough time. Read our guide on Banda islands.
Expenses for your budget trip to Banda islands
- Accommodation: 9 $ per day
- Food: 7 $ per day
- Transportation: 7 $ per day
All together: 23 $/day
Expenses before leaving
Visa for Indonesia: 35 $ on arrival (check for visa policy for your country)
Travel insurance: minimum 50 $ (depends on where you’re from)